Bluegrass & Swing Guitar
For several years Brooklyn-based guitarist Grant Gordy has been a major voice on the American "acoustic music" scene, and one of the most highly regarded young instrumentalists of his generation. Having held the guitar chair in the legendary David Grisman Quintet for six years, he's also worked alongside such musical luminaries as Edgar Meyer, Steve Martin, Tony Trischka and Darol Anger. Grant has performed all over North America and Europe, everywhere from Carnegie Hall to Montreal Jazz Festival; Jazz at Lincoln Center to Bonnaroo.
His music has been heard on NPR's Morning Edition, All Things Considered and Tiny Desk Concerts, and he's received attention from international music periodicals such as The Fretboard Journal, Acoustic Guitar Magazine, Japanese bluegrass publication Moonshiner, Just Jazz Guitar and Flatpicking Guitar Magazine.
“Grant Gordy is a special musician... While being a bluegrass musician at heart, Grant’s incredible breadth of harmonic and rhythmic knowledge from jazz gives him a strikingly singular voice on the guitar; one that is worth giving your attention.”
- No Depression
"Grant Gordy is one of the very small group of musicians to whom the word “preternatural” can hype-lessly apply. Kaleidoscopic excellence, startling emotion, personal revelation: all accurate descriptions of what ultimately is Grant’s personal story, in a musical flow comparable to writers such as Dave Eggers and Michael Chabon. Certainly the least boring guitarist I know."
- Darol Anger
"Grant belongs to the new elite of American acoustic practitioners who are pushing the ever-expanding envelope of a musical frontier.”
- David Grisman
Current Projects: In addition to freelancing as a soloist and collaborator in New York City-as an acoustic guitarist, and on electric in the city's thriving jazz scene- Grant's current bands include:
Mr Sun, an acoustic supergroup of sorts with Darol Anger (violin), Joe K. Walsh (mandolin) and Aidan O'Donnell (bass)
A duo with guitarist Ross Martin; their debut Year of the Dog was released late 2016
His own band featuring prodigious acoustic talents Alex Hargreaves (violin) and Dominick Leslie (mandolin)
Grant's Workshop Descriptions
1. Working with time and groove in creative ways (intermediate/advanced): Good Rhythm is the most important part of being a musician, and everyone can make it better!
2. Right hand technique (intermediate/advanced): The bedrock of flatpicking!
3. How to learn tunes, solos and licks (all levels): Finding shortcuts for stealing ideas from your favorite recordings, and for learning tunes on the fly
4. Playing with other musicians (all levels): If you play bluegrass or folk music, it's gonna happen at some point!
5. How to map out the guitar fingerboard (intermediate/advanced): Demystifying the forest of all those lines and dots.
6. Tune writing workshop (intermediate/advanced): Today's brand new tunes are tomorrow's standards!